London's Wild At Night!
Okay, so this is the weekend for the Notting Hill Carnival, which is the largest group of people drinking in one place in the world, as far as I can tell...(no, American football games don't even match this--several hundred thousand people line the streets and walk in the parade).
[ http://www.visitlondon.com/whats_on/notting_hill_carnival.html The parade route runs about 20 minutes' walk from our house. ]
I went for a couple of hours late this afternoon, but wasn't drinking, just listening to the music. I bumped into a couple of friends there (helped one find the nearest open Tube station) and then made my way home for dinner. I went back in to the office for a couple of hours after that, and was a little worried about walking home. Yes, it's a very short walk (10 minutes if I'm going slowly) but there's a footbridge over the Tube tracks that can be a nervous place to run into people at night, especially when you know there have been lots of drunks in the neighborhood. So tonight, I came up the steps, looked down the length of the bridge, and saw.... a fox! He (or she) turned and stared at me, apparently almost as surprised as I was, so I got a good look--its bushy tail, triangular ears, even whiskers looked just like a storybook picture. It skittered down the opposite stairs and I didn't see it again the rest of the way home. Had to share that though...I know there are foxes around here (in spite of this not exactly being suburbia) and the odds are I'd run into one some late night, but I guess I just wasn't expecting it to be using the concrete footbridge to cross the tube tracks!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home